Medicare Hospice Benefit
When a cure isn’t an option, most patients opt for comfort at home, among familiar things and familiar people. The Medicare Hospice Benefit provides access to services that address the physical, emotional and spiritual needs that accompany a terminal illness.
What is the Medicare Hospice Benefit?
Holy Savior Hospice is a Medicare approved provider.
Your hospice benefit covers care for your terminal illness and related conditions. Once you start getting hospice care, your hospice benefit should cover everything you need related to your terminal illness.
After your hospice benefit starts, you can still get covered services for conditions not related to your terminal illness.
You Qualify for the Medicare Hospice Benefit If You Meet These Conditions
- You are eligible for Medicare Part A (hospital insurance). See if you're eligible at Medicare.gov
- Your doctor and the hospice physician certify that your life expectancy is six months or less.
- You wish to receive care for comfort and no longer desire to pursue aggressive treatment or curative measures.
What do I have to pay?
The Medicare Hospice Benefit covers 100% of Holy Savior Hospice services. There is no out-of-pocket costs to you. Savior Hospice charges no co-payments.
All products and services in the hospice plan of care are paid for by Savior Hospice, including:
- All prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, medical equipment and supplies related to the patient’s terminal illness needed for enhanced comfort, as designated in the plan of care
- Lab and other diagnostic tests necessary to achieve optimum palliative care
- Inpatient care for pain and other symptoms that cannot be managed at home
- Bereavement services for the family for at least one year after a loss
Medicare continues to pay for covered benefits for any health problems that are not directly related to the terminal illness. The hospice medical team determines what care is—and is not—directly related to the terminal illness.